Guinan's Irish Nights are big shoes to fill--so it may take more than one venue. In addition to a session this Wednesday the 26th at the Depot in Cold Spring, some of the musicians report that there will be another session held in Peekskill.
Thursday, March 27th PJ Kelly's Pub & Restaurant 914.734.2100 300 Railroad Avenue Peekskill, NY 10566
Renovations for a new restaurant and cafe are well underway at #7 Garrison’s Landing, home to the former Guinan’s Pub & Country Store, which closed its doors in 2008. A couple of weeks ago, I got a tour inside - stepping back across a threshold into a place so many lucky people once called a second home.
The nonprofit organization leading the reconstruction has rebuilt the pub area in back (no, the floor doesn’t slant anymore but that glorious view of the Hudson River is the same) and generally kept the building’s overall architectural shape in tact. The old green phone booth still stands outside (it might become a library book trading outpost, I’m told), the stone fireplace is there (couldn’t see if the gold shamrock was still embedded on the hearth as it was covered with new windows about to be installed.) [UPDATE: Breaking news...the shamrock has been located and while it is not on the hearth, it is in a most excellent place: Margaret Guinan's possession. She reports, be…
John Guinan died last night after a long, and extraordinarily brave fight with brain cancer. He is survived by his wife Mary Jane, children Sean, Kelly and Casey, granddaughter Zoe, his siblings Margaret, Christine and Jimmy and his father Jim.
Your notes and calls to John over the past 18 months have meant more than you'll ever know. Rarely does someone hear such widespread affection from so many corners of the world. He deserved all of the love but took none of it for granted. And he changed many lives, my own included, in big and small ways.
The family will hold a wake from 2 p.m. to 4 p.m. and 7 p.m. to 9 p.m. on Friday: Clinton Funeral Home 21 Parrott Street Cold Spring, NY 10516 (845) 265-3333
John's funeral will be at 10 a.m. on Saturday: Our Lady of Loretto 24 Fair Street Cold Spring, NY 10516 (845) 265-3781
In lieu of flowers, the family has asked that donations be made to Braking the Cycle and Team Guinan. This link will take you directly to Team Guinan's donation page, or t…
1. Click on the link that says "Comments" at the end of any posted item (including this one).
2. A new page will pop up. Type your comment in the white box for text to the right.
3. To protect against spam, Blogger requires that you copy a strange mix of letters it presents. Simply retype those letters in the space that says "Word Verification."
4. Choose your identity. The easiest way is to hit "Name/URL" and then just type your name, or a pen name you'd like to write under, in the space that says "Name." Ignore the URL box. If you'd rather be anonymous, click the "Anonymous" button instead.
5. Hit publish. You're done. Thanks for being a part of this community.