Video: Morning at Guinan's

While reporting my book Little Chapel on the River, I spent most of 2003 at Guinan's Pub and Country Store. Since my "job" for that year was to spend time at the place I loved most, I occasionally helped out behind the counter and met most of the regulars passing through.

This video I shot captures one morning I was there. Several faces are longer with us: Ken Anderson and his red car; Tip Dain, one of the Fearsome Foursome golf quartet Jim Guinan played with, and Jimmy Delaney whose two Bud Lights at lunch routine was more dependable than the Metro-North trains.

You'll see what the Hudson River looks like coming awake, and how the commuters helped John Guinan carry papers inside at 5 a.m. You'll see John bust my chops in front of Murray Prescott, a long and loyal Guinan friend who has helped open the store for many years.

These were the best days I've known.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

10 Questions for New Proprietor of Old Guinan’s Building (Plus: Proposed New Name)

John Guinan: 1952 to 2008

How to Leave a Message